In a world with so many voices, how can one discern God’s voice? How do i know if it is God talking to me?
A lot of people have questioned themselves as to how to discern God’s voice.
some can hear, but they cant really distinguish between the voice of God and the other voices flooding their mind.
I have been there, I relied on people to be able to understand what God is saying.
A time came when i was totally dissatisfied and i went on a journey of knowing God .
It Is the most beautiful decision i made.
In this guide you will learn what god’s voice is, how to discern God’s voice and why it is important to hear God’s voice.
Table of Contents
why is it important to hear God’s voice?
Knowing God and learning to discern his voice is the most beautiful thing ever, as a beginner you might have a bit of struggles and challenges in a bid to hear God’s voice, but as you journey in God, the voice of the Lord becomes more audible.
It is important to hear God’s voice because his voice gives us clarity, confidence , and comfort in trying times.
His voice gives satisfaction. We need his voice to survive.
What God’s voice is, what it is not?
It might be a still small whisper, an impression of what to do next and it could also be from the written word which is also known as scripture.
The intent of this voice is always to reveal the mind of God, to comfort us, to warn us, to have a conversation with us, or to scold us.
However, there is another voice that does something contrary to God’s voice, infact it does the exact opposite of it.
It brings condemnation and guilt. It tells us to always go contrary to the word of God.
Basically, it teaches us rebel against God’s word.
In Addition to this, there are other voices like your own voice and other people’s voice.
Your voice focuses on self gratification while other people’s voice focuses on their opinion about certain issues.
How then can i identify God’s voice?
A lot of us wants to hear God’s voice while making major decisions in our lifes, we want to hear him speak during trials and tribulations, we want to hear him converse with us.
It is very possible to hear God’s voice clearly.
How does God speak to us?
There are several ways God speak to us.
Its a different stroke for individuals. its not the same pattern for everybody.
Lets check out the various ways God speaks to us
- His voice: God’s speaks to us through his voice, some can hear God clearly. for example, samuel heard God calling him
- in dreams: God speaks to me basically via dreams, I have gotten God’s perspective about certain situations via my dreams. its an avenue to hear the speakings of God
- Our thought: This sect of people tend to say “my mind tells me that, my mind tells me this” this is another medium of discerning God’s voice.
- His word: This is the most important part of hearing God’s voice. The word of God ministers life to us, so whenever we are faced with life challenges, what we should do is to check out what his word says about it.
- In Vision: God speaks to via visions, take a look at Paul, peter and some othe biblical examples
- Life experiences: some people have been mimistered to via the beauty of creation
The list can go on and on, I will like to know how God speaks to you in the comment section.
How to discern God’s voice?
Here is a quick guide on how to discern God’s voice:
- Rely on the holyspirit: Scripture says in John 16:13 “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear,thatshall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” the first step to discerning God’s voice to rely on the Spirit, do not try to hear God, it will happen naturally.
- Study his word: Another way to hear God’s voice is to study the word of God, create time daily to feed on God’s word. The psalmist says in Psalm 119:105:”Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
- Have Godly friends: A Godly friend can be in the form of a mentor, or counsellor. This set of people push you to know God for yourself. It’s impportant to build relationships. Follow my guide on how to find Godly friends here.
- Meditation: To meditate means to ponder or imagine. So the image of your focus here should be Christ. meditation helps unlocks more wisdom hidden in God’s word. I will write a detailed guide on that soon.
- Prayer: Prayer means talking to God, It also means listening to what God is saying. To discern God’s voice, you must learn to not only present your petitions, you must also learn to quiet your mind to listen to God’s response.
Finally, There are many ways to ask for God’s voice, and there is no wrong way. One of the most popular methods is through prayer. When you pray, be sure to have your mind focused on a question that needs an answer from the Lord. Another method is meditation; this can be done while walking or sitting in quiet solitude. Be patient with yourself as you wait for God’s response- it may come immediately or take days before you hear him! If any of these tips were helpful, let me know in the comments below so I can keep them updated here!
You can read our articles on:
- How to build a better relationship with God
- Hacks on how to find Godly friends
- How to study the bible for beginners
- A quick guide on verse mapping for beginners
- How to use the soap bible study method